|Yee Wah Chin|
Yee Wah Chin joined the firm as Of Counsel in 2007. Early in her career, Yee Wah was an associate and then partner of Shea & Gould. Later, Yee Wah was Assistant General Counsel of AlliedSignal Inc. (now Honeywell International Inc.).
Yee Wah’s practice encompasses all aspects of antitrust counseling and litigation, advising on all matters with antitrust exposure. She has defended clients before the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission in investigations over transactions and conduct as well as for criminal price fixing, and litigated antitrust matters in Federal courts in New York and other parts of the country.
Yee Wah has ensured antitrust compliance for transactions for Fortune 100 and smaller enterprises, particularly regarding Hart-Scott-Rodino issues, intellectual property licensing and standard setting activities. Yee Wah has provided antitrust counseling, analysis and oversight on over $3 billion in transactions, and antitrust advice on regulatory compliance, marketing, and relations with competitors, suppliers and customers, as well as on licenses and distribution relationships.
Yee Wah has also litigated securities, commodities, intellectual property, contracts, insurance coverage, constitutional, consumer protection, bankruptcy, and trusts and estates disputes.
Yee Wah is a frequent writer and speaker on antitrust subjects. She is a leader at the American Bar Association in antitrust, particularly on the intellectual property – antitrust interface, China and other international antitrust areas, and active in OECD and U.S. Chamber of Commerce projects on China.
Yee Wah has an AV "Preeminent" Peer Review Rating by Lexis/Nexis Martindale-Hubbell. This rating indicates the rated lawyer has been deemed by his or her peers and members of the judiciary to have demonstrated the highest level of ethical standards and legal ability.Representative Matters
- Developed legal theory in nationwide class action alleging antitrust violations by Monsanto relating to misuse of patents on genetically-modified seeds.
- Chief strategist of defense against antitrust and Constitutional attacks on title and practice acts for the practice of interior design.
- Led successful defense of owner of California power generation assets in sale of assets before the Antitrust Division, avoiding a second request while enabling a full investigation by the agency that cleared the transaction.
- Led successful defense of supermarket chain in acquisition of almost two dozen supermarkets before the Federal Trade Commission and the Vermont Attorney General’s Office, avoiding any need to divest assets.
- Antitrust and general counsel to standard setting task force of trade association in developing industry standard for networked home appliances, and negotiated and drafted agreement among association and task force members covering intellectual property relating to standard.
- Principal drafter of winning brief in Federal First Circuit for pharmacy chain and pharmaceutical benefits manager, affirming summary judgment and judgment as of law in antitrust suit challenging closed provider network, The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island.
- Settled on highly favorable terms antitrust suit against pharmacy claiming acquisition of pharmacy files of neighboring pharmacy was anti-competitive, that did not affect client’s future acquisitions.
- Defended model management company against price fixing and other antitrust claims in class action by models, Fears v. Wilhelmina Model Agency, Inc., that settled on favorable terms.
- Defended antitrust counterclaims in patent infringement suit involving computer network packet switching standards.
- Defended antitrust claims involving undersea oil drilling equipment standards, that settled on favorable terms.
- Represented California Attorney General in antitrust prosecution of electric utilities regarding transactions and conduct pursuant to de-regulation of energy industry.
- Defended vitamins manufacturer in antitrust price fixing grand jury investigation and private treble damages actions to satisfactory resolutions of investigation and major claims
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
New York State, Appellate Division, First Department
District of Columbia
United States Supreme Court
J.D., Columbia University, 1977
S.B. in Mathematics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1974
Co-Chair, ABA Task Force on Patent Law of the People's Republic of China.
Member, ABA Section of International Law Council, International Antitrust Law Committee, Task Forces on PRC Anti-Monopoly Law, India Competition Act, Antitrust Modernization Commission, European Union Technology Transfer Block Exemption
Member, American Law Institute
Member, New York City Bar Antitrust & Trade Regulation Committee