|Michael D. Capozzi|
Landlord & Tenant
Michael D. Capozzi joined the firm as an associate in 2004 and became partner in 2017. Michael’s practice encompasses all aspects of New York and New Jersey commercial and residential landlord-tenant litigation, as well as commercial litigation and bankruptcy. Michael has extensive trial experience and manages an array of commercial real estate and landlord-tenant matters, including those involving lease violations, declaratory judgments, breach of contract, contract enforcement, and Yellowstone injunctions. He also has significant experience in negotiating and drafting complex settlement agreements. Throughout his career, Michael has litigated matters before the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey.Representative Matters
- Represents owners of commercial and residential real estate in New York and New Jersey in the prosecution and defense of summary eviction proceedings and plenary actions; New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal administrative proceedings; and New York State Court plenary actions.
- Represents New York not-for-profit organizations in the prosecution and defense of summary eviction proceedings.
- Represents creditors in bankruptcy proceedings. This representation includes, for example, monitoring the proceeding to assess the impact on the creditor's rights, filing motions to lift the automatic stay and the assumption or rejection of executory contracts.
- Represented motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, and their insurers in the defense of personal and death claims, property damage, catastrophic accident claims, and cargo loss and damage claims; litigated freight collection matters; and prepared trucker’s insurance and non-trucking insurance coverage opinions.
- Defended auto and general liability claims, premises liability, construction liabilities, building defect claims, professional liability, and product liability claims. Represented insurers and insureds in disputes regarding coverage under construction coverages, general liability, professional liability, auto, trucker’s and non-trucking insurance policies, and marine insurance policies.
New York State Bar
New Jersey State Bar
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
J.D., Touro Law Center 2002
B.S., Rutgers University 1998