|Melissa T. Billig|
Construction & Design
Melissa T. Billig joined the firm as an associate in 2003 and became a partner in 2009. Since 2000, Melissa’s legal practice has encompassed all aspects of construction litigation. As a member of our Construction Group, Melissa represents owners, architects, engineers, construction managers and contractors in the design and construction process. She focuses her practice on drafting and negotiating design and construction agreements, as well as license agreements. Melissa provides advice and counsel in connection with multi-party contract disputes and defective construction claims. She also has extensive experience in the resolution of construction disputes, both prior to and during litigation and alternate dispute resolution, and in counseling clients regarding all legal aspects of their businesses. Melissa also provides counsel in connection with commercial matters and disputes.Representative Matters
- Drafted and negotiated architectural, owner’s representative, consultant and other construction agreements for a Developmental Agency of the State of New York, including various agreements for the multi-million dollar Jacob K. Javits Convention Center expansion and renovation project.
- Represented a Developmental Agency of the State of New York in connection with negotiating and drafting agreements for the Governors Island Park Project.
- Represented an architectural firm which successfully argued for dismissal of all claims against it in connection with 7 World Trade Center litigation under the New York State Defense Emergency Act.
- Represents architectural and engineering clients in connection with design agreements with owners on various projects.
- Represents clients in the entertainment industry in negotiating and drafting construction related contracts.
- Represents an engineering firm in the World Trade Center Disaster Site litigation.
- Represented an engineering firm which successfully argued for dismissal of all claims, under the New York State Labor Law, which were asserted against it by an injured construction worker, where the engineering firm had no contractual obligations for site safety.
- Represented and represents various design professionals in disputes that involve adjacent property owners claiming substantial property damage due to construction activities.
- Represented an owner of a condominium unit at a high-end residential building designed by a world-renowned design professional.
- Represented a high-end global retailer in negotiating and drafting design and construction agreements for new retail stores.
- Drafted a series of master agreements to be used by owners and construction managers in their contracts with architects, contractors and subcontractors.
- Represented a historic conservation, restoration and repair consultant in a lawsuit involving the State of New Jersey, which successfully argued for dismissal of all claims against it under the entire controversy doctrine, among other grounds.
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
United States District Court, District of New Jersey
New York and New Jersey State Bars
J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1998
B.A., State University of New York at Buffalo, cum laude, 1995
The Building Next Door: Establishing Good Relations Between Neighbors
New York Real Estate Journal
April 22, 2014
A Practical, Non-Textbook Guide to Contractual Negotiations
The Center for Architecture
June 16, 2016
The Design Professionals Guide to Avoiding Problems, Claims & Disputes
The Center for Architecture
October 20, 2016
Playing Nice with the Neighbors: Dealing with Adjoining Properties during Construction
Anchin's Construction & Development Forum
February 9, 2017
“Rising Star” – Super Lawyers Magazine, September 2012
Professional Activity, Groups and Associations
- Center for Architecture Foundation - Member, Board of Directors; Chair, Development Committee; Marketing Committee
- desigNYC - Pro Bono Legal Counsel
- Brooklyn Law School Alumni Association
- University at Buffalo Alumni Association